Swedish Knitblogger who loves spinning, knitting, dyeing and yarn. I will do some other roundabouts about life too.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sock-swatch and Peonies

Wonderful garden. Wonderful knitting. I have had a calm relaxing 3 day weekend (hey, it is midsummer, a very important viking tradition, where we usually get intoxicated with snaps, eat herring and fresh potatos with onions and gräddfil (sour cream). But instead of being on the boat, both my loved one and me just took it soo easy. Sleeping in the "baden-baden" chair in the garden, sniffing the peonies, and some knitting. So Chromatella is just fantastic tree peony. One of my favourites. Anyway, sorry Maria, did not mean to complain about the yarn. It will be excellent sockyarn as you said. It did colour great. 50% mohair and 50 wool. But some dead hair. So, what is dead hair? Isn't the whole thing dead? No, dead hair means that the animal is probably a bit old and the hair has died and fallen off by itself (but stuck in the fur). This means it does not suck up colour, and that it is a bit stiff and hard. During colouring this becomes visible, and is easy to pluck away. It probably adds strength to a sock, but might be a bit "itchy". It takes a trained eye to see. Anyway, I do recommend colouring. I would definitely do this again. Dripping on the yarn. Some postings below you can see the yarn that I died. Here (thanks for encouraging me, Hpnyknits, I first took a swatch picture in the Festiva Maxima peonies. But, a lazy day means both ripping weeds, and knitting. So, I just "had" to finish it before It is time for a new week.
But it is a bit darker now. So unfortunately, the picture is with flash from the inside. But, Sock 1 is done. One to go.
Since it is only 100g all together, it is a very short sock. But, it looks great. I really like it. It was not what I expected. But, all my favorite colours is in it. Lime, Purple, violet, turqoise, blue. It will be a good sock. Except it is 100% wool, so this one will wear out, So I did extra strenght heel (you know, knit 1, slip one.. turn, purl the unknitted, slip in front etc..I'm extra proud I did it without pattern. But socks are easy to fit. (honestly, I did rip the heel up once..).. Well, I'm rested. Hold the tumbs (toes?) that I get the new job (it is still within, but definitely a new great boss!)

3 comments:

Knit-Marie said...

WOOOOW, vilka pioner!!
Tack för kommentaren om mina sjalar! Nej, någon stickmaskin har jag inte. Pärlorna runt den vinröda lockade till mer pärlarbete. Snart kommer en bild på nästa sjal, med pärlor strödda över det hela.
Bra jobbat med sockhälen!

Anonymous said...

The peonies are gorgeous and so are the socks.

villaa ylle said...

Jag håller tummarna för att du får det nya jobbet:) Vilka pioner, och min favorit Festiva Maxima. Mina står bara i knopp ännu.