Swedish Knitblogger who loves spinning, knitting, dyeing and yarn. I will do some other roundabouts about life too.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Wow, when things are moving, they really are....

What an intense day. Yesterday was a bit lazy, but hey today, an intensive supervision meeting, enjoying my first paper acceptance... work work... but then late I finally went to the machine-knitting group, I have wanted to attend for such a long time at Stickbutiken, now owned by a new cheerful owner,and the yarn content is slowly being more updated. Really great. We looked at the art of machine knitting with this extra bed (wow, now my machine-knitting english really is limited).. that in swedish is called "resår-bädd", (in principle, lets you do purls....) what a trick. Do not think machine-knitting is easy, oh now,hand-knitting is so much easier. Do not think it is faster, well it will definitely take some time and a lot of experience to get faster. If you are lucky you might to some great squares. So Machine-knitting is like a sewing machine. Does not make designer outfits by itself. And this wonderful group, I just blush. I realize I am such a beginner. But, I might finish the christmas sweater on time to this christmas ;-) But Ann-Sofie had knitted in the round, with shetland yarn. And I must say, I feel more and more sure that I will do my Catherine Parr in some other yarn. Gee how difficult it is. So difficult..But I think I really want to think hard about this decision. Very hard. I love thinking about it. When it is started it is different. I want to linger in the moment of decisiontime - all options open. So, curious about the sweater? It is "old" more than 15 years... one of my "free patterns". It also have a long cotton skirt in green to it. But, I have never been happy with the neck, so I'm ripping it up to fix it. One of the summer projects. And soon it is a long holiday weekend in Sweden (again). That is wonderful. Really great. A knit-weekend on the boat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knitting on the boat sound great. We had a Bank Holiday weekend in England last week. No more now until August.

BertandFelix said...

I bought a simple knitting machine a couple of years ago. It is very limited in what it can do. I have used it for felting. The thing I suggest to people who are thinking about it...it isn't really knitting. You are right. It is like using a sewing machine. It is a totally different craft.

Oh, the Bohus is coming along. I had to take out a whole sleeve. I didn't notice that I had five stitches I didn't put on the holding needle. I just wanted to cry. It is for my sister's 40th at the end of June...that is why I haven't posted so much on the blog. She knows I knit for her and reads the blog. Anyway, I just have the left front to do...hopefully done this week. :)!

What holiday is it in Sweden? Oh wait, Mid Sommar? Oh, I remember Midsommar...and that alful smelling fish in a can.

HPNY KNITS said...

machine knitting- wow, I know nothing about it, except that I have a friend that has one and tells me the new machines are very sophisticated and can do lots of "tricks" if you know how to tell it to do it...
Sounds like more fun with fiber to me!

Garngamen said...

Well, not yet midsummer! It is pingst (actually tomorrow is Swedens national day 6 June). Great time, May and june is full of holidays. Midsummer is 23 of June! (and I do not it surströmming!) Anyhow, I also reknitted one entire sleeve. But the result was great. About the machine knitting? That is a long story!