Swedish Knitblogger who loves spinning, knitting, dyeing and yarn. I will do some other roundabouts about life too.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

North American West Coast (4) Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Butchard gardens. As I remember it, one of the highlights 25 years ago, when I was touring the North American continent for three month (on my own!). Today it is a spectacle. Too expensive, too many people that pushed their carts in your ankles, and too much summerflowers in bad taste colour combinations. I realized that I have become a garden diva too. Some years ago I was a secretary in the Stockholm garden lovers society (STA) and I guess learning about plants, and frequent visits to the master class - all the english wonderful gardens have made me yet another "besserwisser". I realize plantcolours are taste, but it seemed so wasteful to have 200 similar plans in two colours, instead of having a mix of perennials with different highlighting times. The japanese garden was fantastic though, and this border (picture)was an exception. But, after this, I was really sad. Not at all the tranquil stroll to grasp beauty, but shuffeling and shoving with a screaming eyesore of plantings. Rows, yikes. So Husband was a gem, and took me to the nearest yarnshop, Beehive in Victoria. Absolutely a solace. I bought much too much of the Canadian yarns "Handpainted" and hmm....what was that other copying colour.... hmm F... something. Oh boy was I happy. I was stroking my yarn when we went to the super good japanese dinner, before hitting rainy Vancouver. That is how I remember it last time, it was cats and dogs all then time then, 25 years ago, and still is. Gothenburg is not even near. Bergen might be. Anyhow, Vancouver was work for me, but instead of visiting Whistler as we booked, the road had diappeard behind a rockfall, so the way around was 9 hour drive instead of 2, so we cancelled. And again, husband allowed me to visit three shops. The first. Birkeland brothers was not a hit, but had a lot of fleece, and some discounted second sortings of Handpainted yarn..... (yummy)... ps. Avoid the husband. He was almost insulting. But Wife great!... Then just up the road Main Street was the greatest shop, Three bags full. Filled with goodies. And great people there. Look both for inside and outside pics. To the right is supposedly the lace knitter expert. Now, I forgot the name. I was still checking here fab shawls in the store and getting lost in the yummy lace yarn. And Kogiou and ....They were even so nice that they actually so nice that they recommended a competitor! That is what I call service! I asked them if there was one other yarnshop we should visit in Vancouver, what would that be? And they said - Urban yarns. For that, Go to Three Bags Full! Great yarnshop. Great expertise, super yarn. Honest people. Now Urban Yarns is located in a great area, and the shop was packed. And - they have a sale. I think that really is nice ;-) So I found some great baby alpacka for mittens, and also some more daisy circular, and some more treasures. Wahaha... just wait. I have not even STARTED with pictures of all the yarn I bought. I feel I sure have spent all my leasure money for this year. I hearby promise I will not buy any more yarn 2008 - UNLESS I need to finish a piece! And I promised mom some sockyarn!
Not even an exception for a Bohus kit, sigh. This means, no yarn festival this fall either. Yes, It is patient husband outside Urban yarns. And he just beat my record in Wii Fit Slalom. Sigh. 2 more days of vacation. And I have lost a sock somewhere.. in my house. And I need it to measure to the first one. Well, I think this almost - bring us to the last chapter in our vacation..Still one more to come. Hugs out there!

2 comments:

Agneta said...

Din resa därborta verkar ha varit ganska givande. Blir avundsjuk:-)

Mary, Mary... said...

I don't even want to think about your credit card bill....;)