Swedish Knitblogger who loves spinning, knitting, dyeing and yarn. I will do some other roundabouts about life too.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The sock year of 2008 - Looking back!

16 pairs of socks. 32 socks have been knitted this sock year of 2008. I kept the promise to myself and did at least one sock a month, and some. And yes, they are used and loved, and I have realized that socks are fun to knit. Fast, sometimes tricky, and these patterns are very rewarding. I have finished 3 sweaters and one west, 1big lace shawl and 3 other shawls, 2 hats and 1 wristwarmer, and only one pair of mittens. But I have started (and knitted more than 60%) of 8 sweaters whereof two are just at 20%. I guess every second year MUST be a sweater year. Socks are perfect to bring on the train though, and I commute to my Uni - which takes its 1.5 hours one way. I guess in retrospect, Im rather pleased. I had a thing on socks - Now it is gone. But it is funny, for two pairs I really suffered on second sock syndrome, and also, when past the heel it is usually fast as anything. I will definitely knit socks next year - from my books. And instead of (hmmm) knitting a way that box of sock-yarn, it is now filled to the brim from my US visit this summer. Looking back, I think the BEST shopping-experience was Knit-map, a rented Mazda with GPS, and one day hopping yarnshops in San Jose with a Starbucks in my hand. Or the entire vacation just thereafter, with yarnvisits in the Seattle, Vancouver area, climbing mountings and knitting. Yummy! Favourite yarnvisit: Weaving works in Seattle. Favourite yarn. Well, that is a tough call, between lushious Fleece-artist and Handpainted yarns vs Plötulopi from Alafoss Istex that has been the latest fling. But I must say I very much love the Southwest Tradings Bamboo. It has a soft cool feel, that is just like a caress. Well. Yummy knitting year. I also cleaned and reboxed all my yarn in the yarn room. That feels good. Another thing about 2008 is this is where I fell completely into the Starmore chant. Yes, I have bought yarn for 6 sweaters. And Im still working on the first. Also in 2008 I spent a fortune on knitting books. Starmore for sure, but a lot of others - Japanese, many american, Danish and some Swedish. It is the greatest hobby. Can a year be summarized? I had a great knitting year. All over the world. Happy New 2009 to you all! Many happy Knitting hours!

5 comments:

Marina said...

Your hair looks wonderful. Makes you look younger!

2008 was a good knitting year for you, but I'm still waiting for you to knit Rheingold with me ;-)

Hope 2009 will be just as wonderful!

Knittermarie said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2009.....with millions of stitches :)
/ Knittermarie (Soraya Marie)

BertandFelix said...

Happy New Year!!! I hope to half as productive in the new year as you were in 2008.

Milly said...

Congratulations on all your accomplishments in 2008, you knitting is quite inspirational to me.
I wish you all the best for 2009 and looking forward to reading about your next creation.

Happy New Year!

gail said...

You accomplishments are very, very impressive. Especially given the fact that you are working on a Ph.D. How, on earth, did you accomplish so much?? I'm in awe.